Tuesday, November 29, 2005

New Job

I was given my 6th month review and found out I've been doing pretty well. My area of improvement "could be serving lunch a bit more neatly" which I actually found to be a little entertaining. I was very excited to here what my job will be doing starting in December. Since I've started I haven't had a place were I fit in. I kept changing case loads. I covered for a couple people on maternity leave and one that quit. Now that I have know one left to cover for they are giving me all the new participants that come into the program. Which IS AWESOME!!!! I'll be working with people in day services as well as the mental health side. I'll get them initiated into the program and then after 30 days they will be assigned to another staff. I was a little disappointed that I would only chart on them temporally but it's okay. I love new people. One of my favorite things to do is make a new person feel welcome. I love to talk to them. People would be so much happier if they would forget about themselves and just listen to somebody. Why are people so afraid to get into someone's life? I knew vaguely the story of one of the Katrina victims at the program. I would talk with her casually. I played an album one time and she told me that she had it at home (New Orleans). That triggered some emotions in me but I still didn't take time to get know what happened. I don't know what my reason was. Maybe I thought I was too busy. Today I sat down with her and ask about Thanksgiving. She said it was good but she missed being with her family. The conversation went on. It eventually got to the part were she had to sit on her kitchen counter for 14 days, eat out of cans, and drink the contaminated water. She talked about the pictures that she lost the loved ones that got out of New Orleans but she didn't know were they were. It wasn't fun for me to here that stuff. It was sad. However she needed to talk about it and I needed to listen to her. She gave me another example of hope. Hope brings perseverance and then eventually joy. I don't know why I got of on this. I think I need to say however that rather then just think or talk about an issue in society, think about what you can do in the hear and now. Listening to somebody.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home